29.3.10

Monday: French Toast!


My favorite breakfast is French Toast. I love everything about it. It is hard for me to keep it to once a month, as the gluten thing is a big problemo, but when I have it I enjoy it even more so. mmmmmm. So here is the deluxe recipe.

Use a semolina or batard, baguette loaf. Slice into thick slices.
In a bowl mix up:

4 organic large eggs
1/2 cup milk or soymilk
add to this mixture:
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp cinnamon (more to come later)
lots of freshly ground nutmeg

Take the bread and soak it in the mixture. I like to coat both sides and let it sit for about 5 minutes while I prepare the frying pan with a teaspoon of butter. When it's melted I place the prepared bread in the pan.
At this point - it is cinnamonfication time. That's right. You can't get enough of the cinnamon here. Sprinkle it liberally onto the toast's raw side and then flip when the bottom side is nice and golden.

Cook until done. Serve with traditional maple syrup. Or get all European. Which simply means you have not most likely HAD real maple syrup and opt for things like: apple butter (very very good) or nutella (evil) or jammies of all sorts (ok, if you are simply out of maple syrup)

Eat until you are going to pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and Bon Appetit!